Friday, May 25, 2012

The Birthday that was not remembered


                                                                            The Birthday that was not remembered
As Shree stood still looking at the moonless night on the terrace, she couldn't help fighting back tears of grief...It was her 20th birthday, but she didn't quite feel like a birthday girl that day. As she gazed far into the vast emptiness of the night sky, she searched for the brightest star. This star had always held great significance for her for it  reminded her of her greatest and dearest friend and confidante... the person who had always made her feel special on her birthday, the one who had given her the sweetest and most memorable gifts every year.  Shree had been waiting impatiently for the call. Where was her friend?
She went back to her room to find the most delectable chocolate cake sitting on her study-table. But nothing seemed to please her that day. Even the idea of devouring the cake all by herself failed to bring a smile to her face. Shree flipped through the pages of her photo album. She could see herself in the pages, smiling and cutting the cake on her first birthday.Ah! There was her friend by her side looking on while she blew off the candle on her cake. Her friend re-appeared later as Shree hugged her first teddy on her fifth birthday. This too had been gifted by her dear friend.  Shree looked tearfully through the pages of the album and finally slammed it shut. The pain was inexorable. She waited for the call despite knowing the futility of it all. As the night passed by, she slowly cried herself to sleep. All her other friends had wished her. Everyone except that friend remembered her birthday.
The next morning she donned a pretty white kurta and faded jeans. While she brushed back her smooth shoulder-length hair, she could not help but feel angry at the person who had disappointed her the most that day. She resolved to confront  her friend and to ask her how she could forget her birthday. There had to be a darn good reason for it.
She walked through the lane behind the Church. As she turned the corner, she could see her friend  at a distance. She slowly laid the white flowers beside the grave and left a letter addressed to her friend. It read-
" To the most special and unforgettable person in my life,
  I was infuriated when you did not call on my birthday. The day seemed so morbid without having you beside me. I am so used to having you by my side, I am used to being wished by you first on my birthday, I am used to having you gift me the things on my wish list, I am used to being hugged warmly by you and I am used to being loved by you. It will take me some time however to get "un-used" to so many things . I need time to get over you, but try as I may I know I will never be able to forget you. So, be there by my side. I need you.
Your loving daughter, Shree".- 
                                                                                                                                            23rd September, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment